Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Back in action / year in review part 1: favorite music videos

Even the best made plans go awry... work got busy, social life got complicated, my computer got stolen, and blogging ended.

However, I couldn't resist recapping 2009, one of the best years for pop music since, well, ever?

With no further ado, here's the first of several upcoming year-end rankings:



The "Single Ladies" award for most mesmerizing music video:

5. Party in the USA (FIP version): I've never seen the real Miley video. I don't think I ever care to - this is hilarious, and actually fits the song perfectly.

4. TIE: Hollywood, Marina and the Diamonds / Pick up the Phone, Dragonette: Both amazing songs with great videos.  Marina takes Americana kitsch to the ultimate, while Dragonette makes me want to go back to my high school as a bad kid and trash the place.  The two really only have one thing in common: they make their leading ladies look absolutely STUNNING.

3. Did It Again, Shakira: People rave about the 'Single Ladies' video, but this might be the most exquisite choreography I've ever seen in a music video.  The song is a grower, too - after initially disliking it, I learned to love it.

2. Drumming, Florence + the Machine: Creepy, hypnotic, and yet somehow poppy.  Florence pulls out all the stops to create a video that equals the brilliance of the track.  Bonus points: LEGS!

1. Bad Romance, Lady Gaga: Not exactly a bold pick.  But what the video lacks in subtlety, it makes up for with all of the various ape-shit crazy shenanigans, one after another.  For once, the 'and the kitchen sink' aesthetic that Gaga is selling as art works, and brilliantly.  BONUS: Popjustice review of the video: actually more entertaining than the song

No comments:

Post a Comment